Friday, November 16, 2012

A Lonely Combination


I’ve talked before about how the loss of a child can be an incredibly isolating experience. As I sit here today, I realize that I had no idea what isolation really felt like. When we lost Vivienne, I felt like no one could possibly understand how that felt. And then I found support groups and other loss Moms who did – they made me feel understood and less alone. But as we’ve battled miscarriages, infertility, tubal issues, Asherman’s, and surgeries, the circle of people who truly understand gets smaller and smaller. The group of women who understand what it’s like to fight so hard to get that living child, when all of your children are dead, is impossibly tiny. I can count on 1 hand the number of women I know who deal with this, and I only know one of them in real life (not just on the internet).

It’s an incredibly lonely and isolating combination to have the one-two punch of loss and infertility. We defy every cliché that people like to use in the loss of a child (“you can have another one” “at least you know you can get pregnant” “everything will work out” “at least you have your other children”). Every child is a miracle, there is no question about that. But when you suffer with infertility and find yourself pregnant, it is a miracle of miracles. To have that miracle taken from you is soul-crushing. To live not knowing if you will get another chance at that miracle is beyond words.

Working through my latest hurdle and coming out of my latest surgery has made me feel like the worst possible 1 in a million. I had multiple doctors in my pre-op appointment, my surgery, and my follow up. Doctors and medical students who wanted to learn about my case, because it’s not very common. The doctor treating my Asherman’s has treated 4 other cases this year. He’s the chair of the OB/GYN department at my hospital network, the lead dog, and the one with the most experience. I was his 5th case over the course of the entire year. In medical terms, it makes me unusual. To me, I just feel like some freak of nature.

I am fortunate to have many friends and family who genuinely try to understand my circumstances, which I so appreciate. But I learned in dealing with losing Vivienne that there is no substitute for talking with people who understand because they have lived it. Try as hard as I can to understand and empathize, I cannot truly know what it’s like to walk in another person’s shoes. But these loss Moms had walked in my shoes, and they made me feel understood and part of a community. And lately, because of all of the other battles that infertility and Asherman’s brings, I feel less connected to that community. The community of people who understand the combination of infertility and loss is very, very small.

I don’t know what the coming months will bring for us. To say that I hope that we can join the community of rainbow parents is an understatement (hope just isn’t strong enough, and there isn’t a word that is). I know that we have lots of people walking behind us, cheering us on, supporting us, and hoping that same hope. But as we continue on our journey, it feels very much like the path not traveled. There are very few guides who understand the landscape or the route. Gordon and I are on our own here. And while it helps to know that we have each other, I’m finding that I really miss having a room (be it chat or real) full of women who nod their heads at me in agreement because they have been there and they understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment