Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Challenge - Week 2

While I'm late in posting, I have still been working on my 30 day challenge of acts of kindness. Here are my updates for week 2.

Day 9 - sent a thank you to a fallen serviceman's family. This one had been on my list to do, but I wasn't sure how to start. So, I went to Google and found this site. I knew that I wanted to send a thank you to someone's who had lost their child a while ago, not recently. When a loss is recent, everyone is around to remember your loved one and help you with your grief. Over time, most of those people go back to their lives, and you worry that your child will be forgotten. So, I picked someone who died close to the time that Vivienne died who was also from Ohio. Then, I googled and found his parents and wrote them a letter of thanks, assuring them that their son had not been forgotten.

Day 10 - took a platter of cookies to the local firehouse. I dropped them off and thanked them for their service. The fireman who greeted me assured me it was nothing, which I know isn't true. Those people run towards burning buildings while we run away. The least I can do for them is give them cookies.

Day 11 - sent a gift to a friend. She needed some encouragement, and I was happy to provide it.

Day 12 - returned the cart at the grocery store. The weather was bad, and I could have put it in the section for a grocery store employee to get it. But I decided to return it to the store, so there would be 1 less cart for them to collect.

Day 13 - bought coffee for a coworker. She'd been having a really tough week, so I went to Caribou and grabbed her favorite coffee.

Day 14 - gave books to a friend. She was preparing for surgery where she'd be laid up for a while. So, I collected some of my favorite books to give her to help her pass the time.

Day 15 - gave a 100% tip to a waitress. It was just me, so the check wasn't big. I know how hard waitresses work, so I left her a 100% tip.

Day 16 - donated magazines to the library. Our local library collects magazines to donate to the elderly and to give to kids for craft projects. We collected up a bunch of our magazines, and I dropped them off at the library.

I've been really touched by everyone sending me their notes of random acts of kindness that they've done. It helps to encourage me to keep going on the project and see the 30 days fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment