Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mother's Day


Mother’s Day is a difficult holiday for me, as you would expect. Losing a child makes the holiday complicated enough, but adding infertility to the equation makes it an incredibly painful day. I recognize that the rest of the world sees me in this grey area – I’m a mother, and yet I’m not. Whenever I say that to people, they immediately disagree with me. “You ARE a mother!” they say. And it’s true, I am. But I also know that in my everyday life, people do not think of me as a mother.

I get it. I really do. There are many maternal experiences that I just don’t relate to because I haven’t lived them. I don’t know what it’s like to be so tired because of a fussy, colicky baby who won’t sleep. I don’t know what it’s like to manage the terrible twos. I never have to run out of work to pick the kids up from daycare. I don’t watch Baby Einstein or The Wiggles (or whatever is popular with kids these days) because there are no children in my house. And I’ve never had anyone call me Mommy. I know that I live in this in between world where I know I’m a mother and the rest of the world sees me as one only when prompted, but I don’t have any of the “mother experiences” that other mothers do.

Just recently, I had a conversation with someone who asked me the dreaded “do you have children?” question. I talked about Vivienne, as I always do. They asked if we planned to have more children. I said we wanted to, but it was proving to be difficult. And their response was “I hope it works out. You’ll be a great mother.” Not you ARE a great mother. You WILL be. Because parenting a child who isn’t here doesn’t count in the same way.

That was an experience that really summed up how I feel about Mother’s Day. I talk about my daughter freely because she was, is, and will always be my daughter, whether she’s here or not. People will recognize her, offer their sympathies, but then go on to say that I’ll be a great mother some day. I live in between the definitions, and so a holiday that doesn’t include much grey is a difficult one to work with.

Mother’s Day actually wasn’t supposed to be like this at all. You’ve probably never researched the history of the holiday, assuming, like I did, that it was invented by Hallmark or American Greetings. In fact, it is credited to a woman who wanted to honor her own mother, who had lost 8 of her 12 children. But you’d never know that by how it is celebrated now. Today, we have cards to honor the mothers of children here, but not the mothers who only hold their children in their hearts or the mothers who long to parent a child that their bodies won’t let them have.

And so I’m left unsure of how to manage through this holiday. When they ask the Moms to stand and be recognized at church, it doesn’t feel right to stand. But sitting doesn’t feel right either. And so I stay home. My husband and family struggle to find an appropriate card or gift that recognizes me as a mother, but doesn’t imply that our children are here. I know it’s a difficult task. I can’t really leave my house on that day because of everyone enjoying their Mother’s Day with their children, another painful reminder of things we miss with Vivienne. And so I put my head down and power through, like I do with most holidays. Except that this is a holiday that smacks me in the face with the inconsistency in how I see myself and how the world sees me.

No comments:

Post a Comment